Cisco FabricPath is another innovative technology from Cisco. Fabricpath is basically a replacement for STP but it overcomes any and all scalablity and convergence related issues in STP. FabricPath allows you to add links dynamically and performs Layer 2 Routing eliminating legacy convergence issues.
Did I said Layer 2 Routing ??
Yes, Indeed.... FabricPath is all about routing your datacenter traffic on layer 2 which basically means automatic load sharing of the traffic. You can configure Any VLAN on any port of any switch located anywhere, It only has to be member of FabricPath Switching System (FSS).
Lets take a look at the FabricPath benefits in brief -
- Minimal commands per switch ease configuration and operation
- Autodiscovery simplifies addition of new links and switches
- Provision additional network bandwidth without impacting network
- Design accommodates both small and large scale deployments
- Equal-cost multipathing across all available paths significantly increases cross-sectional bandwidth
- Network is scalable to more than 100 Tbps of switching capacity
- Multipathing over all links increases availability
- Eliminating Spanning Tree Protocol results in faster convergence
- Up to 16 aggregation layer switches minimize the impact of single-switch failure
- Multitopology networks based on customer application needs
- Supports one-, two-, or three-tier architectures
- VLAN extensibility across the data center
The video below would explain it much better than I was able to do it -
Keep visiting, For more on Cisco Nexus
For Cisco Nexus - Overlay Transport Virtualization (OTV)
Looking forward to build your private cloud - Read This