Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darby Weaver

CCIE Lab 2012-1013 Step-by-Step by Darby Weaver

49 posts in this topic

I've always maintained that a person should get certified ASAP but should not quit until a certain level of mastery is attained.

This offering is my next venture from the last batch of CCNA students that I worked with.

I have to charge to pay for the building and associated facilities.

Small matter.

Darby Weaver

Kewl little production nibble I found:

MPLS Ldp neighbor x.x.x.x implicit withdraw

Helps keep down the overhead associated with Ldp messages

Darby Weaver

I've gotten on the pony and off again and back and forth a couple of times.

I'm working up to it again.

It looks like I'm going to be doing to see Narbik in Glendale from September 9th to the 21st or so for a two-week boot camp with him.

If anyone is going I'll see you there.

I've been off the wagon for a bit and I've really only had the opportunity to get up to speed on MPLs lately and I think I understand the topic and can troubleshoot it very quickly at the moment.

So I have to start out again with the basics and work my way up a little bit.

So...

Gonna start with a quick video review and go from there.

After that I'm going to go solid Narbik and the Cisco 360 approach and do what I can to complete these.

I have about 3 months to prep for Narbik so I've got a little time.

Darby

It sounds you have some bulk number of devices and looks like it will go for some sort of rentals :) Kinda interested to see it soon....

Been a little busy...

Got a few nibbles for professional services and helping a few network admin/engineer types with some mentoring and real world network advice.

It's going to be interesting to help forge a new generation of professionals.

FYI - I've confirmed Glendale with Narbik. I'll be there from the 7th till the 22nd or so. Lots of time to work with the master on troubleshooting labs.

I this will be an excellent exercise for me to see where I am with regard to my current level of expertise.

I also am working on my Wireshark skills and possibly certification.

I have to see if my old vouchers I have for for Certified Wireless Network Adminisrator and Professional are still valid or not.

I'll renew my CCIE Written Exams for Routing and Switching and Security, and possibly go ahead and take the CCDE, Wireless, Service Provider exams just in case.

I'll probably be exploring certifications from Dell, SonicWall, VMWare, Juniper, F5, Brocade, and become expert with the Force 10 product line.

It looks like I'll be renewing/updating my Microsoft qualifications and partnerships.

Quite a bit... But hey... Gotta do what I gotta do.

I've been renewing my vendor partnerships and I almost forgot how extensive my skill sets really are.

Time to start a new era for me: Consulting.

No rest for the wicked!

Darby Weaver

Status Report:

I had to work with a couple of team members today - topics included:

1. Troubleshooting SSH

2. Troubeshooting Layer 1/2/3 Issues

3. Troubleshooting VLANs

4. Troubleshooting IP Addressing

5. Troubleshooting EtherChannels

6. Troubleshooting Spanning-Tree

I think that sums it up pretty good. The idea was to integrate some new devices into an exisiting Cisco Core Infrastructure.

Headed over to see Narbik this coming week for a 2-Week End-to-End ILT CCIE RS Bootcamp in Glendale, California.

I understand it is 12-days of pure troubleshooting CCIE RS Labs - Can be pretty tough I understand. I'll find out starting next Monday bright and early.

It's a great way to get into gear for my coming CCIE RS Lab attempt.

Wish me luck!

Darby Weaver

Narbik just called and is sending me over the latest workbooks - so... it begins.

Scrounged through a juicy hard drive last night and found some labs of interest and am doing more of the same this evening.

Found some Packet Tracer Troubleshooting Labs to work through ASAP.

Class starts on Monday.

Janet sent me a lot of files... for the class.

Foundations Vol I and Vol II - Questions and Answers

Boot Camp 4.0 Vol I and Vol II

Troubleshooting Workbook

CCIE Advanced Workbook Vol I and Vol II

Lot of Pages of CCIE Tasks...

Janet sent me a lot of files... for the class.

Foundations Vol I and Vol II - Questions and Answers

Boot Camp 4.0 Vol I and Vol II

Troubleshooting Workbook

CCIE Advanced Workbook Vol I and Vol II

Lot of Pages of CCIE Tasks...

Rebuilding the racks - soon with video, visio, and excel spreadsheets to illustrate the BoM too.

Added the Sup720-3B + WiSM to the CCIE Wireless Rack and a lot of APs.

Added 4 - Cisco 3750-48-TS-S + GLC-T's to the CCIE RS Racks, one is a Cisco 3750-X-48

Added 5 Cisco 2821/2851 Routers with GE interfaces to the CCIE RS Racks. 3 Have NM-16-ESW and 3 have NM-NAMs - the 2851 has both of course.

So the racks are optimized as best they can be.

I now have Cisco's Simulator too to practice with. I'm using it to insert just about every single problem I've seen fromevery lab so far - Narbik, 360, INE, IPE, etc. over a 30-40 Router topology and then timing myself to ensure I can resolve a given number of tickets in a certain amount of time.

Anyways...

Here I go again.

I'm hoping to be ready to take the CCIE RS Written in December of 2013 and then take the lab in early 2014 if things go well. I'm going to try to ensure I can go to the lab 3-4 times in succession just in case anything does not go as expected.

One thing I've learned along the way is that the lab is a moving target and if you wait you lose. Go and go for the kill.

I'm fast at the CLI. I have a large number of shortcuts that just can't get much shorter and I make few errors at the CLI. I take my time to read and understand befrore I implement and I'm a lot stronger at the Cisco IOS than I was when I went to the lab the last time in like 2008 or 2009 whenever it was.

I'm doing a lot of Data Center stuff these days and I am also starting to write some stuff on the CCNA Data Center which will probably work its way up to the CCNP DC too along the way to the CCIE DC.

Darby Weaver

Whew!

Live comes at you fast.

Just got invited to write questions for the CCNP Routing and Switching Certification Exams... Nice!

Guess I've taken them enough times for enough years.

Just got asked today if I thought a certain $535 million dollar global network optimization project was do-able - I said it was!

Turns out it is bigger than that - $2.49 billion over 5 years.

Now that's just plain A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!

I got offered a total of 210 lab racks to work with this past week... Whew! Is that even possible.

Darby Weaver

I may have to stop trying to be a CCIE and just accept the fact that CCNP's get offered some very very awesome opportunities by themselves.

Here we are about 1 year later...

I'm still a contractor or consultant or whatever we all like to call ourselves these days.

It's Sunday, and I've just finished helping a young lady with some inter-switch connectivity. Ended up being a physical issue where some QSFP+ to 4 10GE interfaces.

The port channel had an error message stating that there were not enough links in the port channel. The default minimum were 8 for 2 different port channels feeding into an M1000e Chassis.

I had designed for 2 M1000e Chassis so the idea that one was fine while the other was not was puzzling... Until...

Check the physical and by the book the QSFP+ cables were not securely connected for the first Chassis for the Fabric B side switches.

Connect cables and voila! Working as intended.

Moving right along...

So I have an assignment to work out the details for the SNMP Traps for the FRU and environmental OIDs for a rather large set of data center fabrics I'm working on. After that, I have to do the testing to make sure the traps shoot emails for various conditions and finally open a given ticket and assign it appropriately after the fact.

Whew!

Now on top of issues like these, I need to get back into a few CCIE and the CCDE tracks.

I also have to go back and take my SonicWall Cert exams, some more Aruba Wireless exams, and complete my CWNE finally.

So I've got a little on my plate.

I have my various labs broken down at the moment. So when I ever get it set back up, of course, I'll post it.

Well that's where I am at.

I do have some other DCs I'm working on too.

Ok -

Easy to see I let this one go and got busy making the digits... $$$ versus some other digits (CCIE #) etc.

:)

Ok

Time for a new thread. I'm back to being active now.

Thanks

Darby Weaver

http://www.darbyslogs.blogspot.com