Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sathish

Is Windows More Secure Than Linux?

Study finds Windows more secure than Linux:

Believe it or not, a Windows Web server is more secure than a similarly set-up Linux server, according to a study presented by two Florida researchers.

They compared Windows Server 2003 and Red Hat Enterprise Server 3 running databases, scripting engines and Web servers (Microsoft's on one, the open source Apache on the other).

On average, the Windows setup had just over 30 days of risk versus 71 days for the Red Hat setup, their study found.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002182315_security17.html

Now Microsoft has something to smile about!!!

I was reading the same article in afternoon,

but some how i didnt believed this. :wub:

While their methods may not have been the most scientific, it does show interesting information - if true. However, I still truely believe that they are as secure as each other once patches/hardening are properly in place.

Hey ! Guys,

I agree that Windows is More Secure then Linux..... coz,each operating system has its own security strengths and weaknesses. But it's the flaws that have drawn particular focus. Windows flaws have been cropping up faster than some people can track, forget patch. But Linux has its own troubles with vulnerabilities. They simply don't get as much media attention. And that's because Linux isn't as ubiquitous as Microsoft's Windows. Windows flaws get more attention because nearly everyone -- from Fortune 100 security managers to their mothers and neighbors -- needs to know about them.

Linux was the most-attacked online server operating system ,according to a report from mi2g, a digital risk assessment company based in London. 67% of all overt digital attacks targeted Linux. Windows received 23.2% of the attacks.

So....naturely .....what u think ....its Windows safer when compared to Linux :rolleyes:

I can never accept that Linux is more secure than Windows I mean common guys 90 % of worlds computers are Microsoft based ... It's just critics of being the best ;) and another real fact TCO is lower with microsoft it have been proven many time from experts ...

I think that it is a hacker that is interested in linux compared with system of unix.

And windows is too easy to invade, so there is no interest.

And there are many general users of windwos, there is many shelter software used for windows.

Linux could safeguard server by the strength.

This is what I think of, not people's position

Ok Here is my 2 cents worth. I believe any OS whether it be Windows or Linux or Novel is as good as the security settings you configure. If you leave the door open then someone is going to eventually come in.

In other words your servers are only as good as your admins.

Hi,

I agree with iamjay ;)

Another thing is that security of a system depends of the person that configures it, anyway there's already a topic discussing this matter.

Linux Rulez,

Goodspeed

I just finished taking a Linux course and was pretty impressed when my instructor cracked a Windows 2003 server (with a strong Password) in less than a minute simply by running a tool that allowed him to access and change the password. He couldn't unencrypt files but that was about all he couldn't do. After all the MS security courses I have taken it would have been funny if I was not so invested in Microsoft. His comment.. "If I can touch it I own it"

I just finished taking a Linux course and was pretty impressed when my instructor cracked a Windows 2003 server (with a strong Password)  in less than a minute simply by running a tool that allowed him to access and change the password. He couldn't unencrypt files but that was about all he couldn't do. After all the MS security courses I have taken it would have been funny if I was not so invested in Microsoft. His comment.. "If I can touch it I own it"

Well, No offence, But

I can smell script kidding in what your instructor have done, I mean C'mon man, A baby can hack computer with tool, Real hacking is to know/check/find weakness in a OS/Program.

And as for security, A hardned Windows box can be as secure as Linux, it's all depand on how you set your box. For all those, Security is not a product, it's a process.

I can not believe it. Microsoft and security are opposite words...hehehe

lol !!! :)

Is it possible ?

Yes !

What is more popular is more attacked...

Windows Server is so bad than company prefers use Linux like server...

and so, like linux servers are more present on internetn there are more hacked...

:D

one more one equal two...

Windows is attacked after 30sec of use and worms eat it...

you can wait more long time with an linux installation...

poor guys... hope you have your firewall on a CD before to connect on the web...

Man who did this study have been paid by microsoft... for sure... they always do that...

there are so affraid about Linux World...

But that's just the beginin... be carefull bill... be carefull... money didn't bought all... <_<

I just finished taking a Linux course and was pretty impressed when my instructor cracked a Windows 2003 server (with a strong Password) in less than a minute simply by running a tool that allowed him to access and change the password. He couldn't unencrypt files but that was about all he couldn't do. After all the MS security courses I have taken it would have been funny if I was not so invested in Microsoft. His comment.. "If I can touch it I own it"

You need physical access to the machine to do this. It can be done with the offline NTpassword boot disk.

If you are giving physical access to your server room to anyone other than authorised people you have far bigger issues that Linux versus Windows software security to contend with......

I can destroy and PC/server if I had physical access to it without knowing anything about IT.....

Sledgehammer+physical Access+Server=NO DATA LEFT

The same can be said for many Cisco and other Routers-Physical access = total domination.........

Slightly off topic I know but in general I would agree with a few different People here, namely Briano some points from others....

Edited by kippy

I just finished taking a Linux course and was pretty impressed when my instructor cracked a Windows 2003 server (with a strong Password)  in less than a minute simply by running a tool that allowed him to access and change the password. He couldn't unencrypt files but that was about all he couldn't do. After all the MS security courses I have taken it would have been funny if I was not so invested in Microsoft. His comment.. "If I can touch it I own it"

The same could be done to Linux and UNIX. Almost any OS could be cracked if it can be physically accessed.

linux init=/bin/sh and I own your Linux, so it's not only a Windows problem.

#1 - linux vs windows debates are very boring and lame. don't get caught in the trap.

#2 - the way linux & other *nix's (BSD, Solar) are designed make them more secure by their very nature..

in windows, your apps interact very closely with the base OS & kernel (that's why IE can bring down your entire box and require a reboot). with *nix's - your apps don't interact with the OS and kernel as closely - they sort of float on top of OS & kernel.

also, *nix handles permissions and user grp seperation much better. with windows (even new serv. 2003) you kind-a neuter yourself once you are not an admin.

maybe things will change with regards to MS products in the near future - maybe not. don't count on it.

after saying that though - you still want to run MS Windows stuff for your users. it makes life much easier for everyone. just keep patching it and following best practices.

LOL having console access to a pc and saying your cracked it is hilarious WIninternals is one of the tools used by systems admins to reset forgotten PW's on windows box and is sold commercially

My 2 cents

HI

I thing from 2003 on words Microsoft is more concentrate over security. In a web environment Microsoft Windows2003 web server is the best OS

you do realize that the WWW still runs on Unix - not Wondows 2003.

MS have a hue budget to continue development the security for thier own product.

However MS is the bigest target that all hacker,cracker around the world need to attack. So I think, it's not fair to talk that MS less secure than linux.

But I agree that if we use product that is not big target like MS, may we can safe more.

MS have a hue budget to continue development the security for thier own product.

However MS is the bigest target that all hacker,cracker around the world need to attack. So I think, it's not fair to talk that MS less secure than linux.

But I agree that if we use product that is not big target like MS, may we can safe more.

yup - they do have a big budget - but that's never gonna stop them from making crap garbage code.

you want a secure OS...

http://www.openbsd.org/security.html

:P