Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandy2810

Memory utilization above 90%.....Malware?

4 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I came across a very strange issue. We have two laptops different models with 4GB RAM. The memory utilization for both these laptops run constantly at more than 90%. When you put these laptops in sleep mode and turn it back on, the memory utililization drops for sometime and then slowly regains it back to above 90%.

Task manager did not reveal any process for such hike in memory. Took out all programs from startup without any success. Suspecting this could be a malware, I even ran Malwarebytes, Hijackthis, online eset scans, trend micro scan and still couldnt find any infection.

Can anyone suggest something that can be done to get the memory utilization down.

Thank you.

Amazed!! You have

Comptia Security+,CCSP
CCNA SECURITY,CWNA
CCNP,CCDP,CCNA,CCDA
MCSE 2003

Yet you cannot identify a process that is causing this? tell me what steps have you taken to identify this?

It is not as easy as you think, If i was able to identify the process, I wouldn't have posted here. As mentioned earlier, task manager does not show any process utilization memory to that level and hijackthis identified all processes running to be valid. A typical scenario where I could have easily blamed it on the hardware, but not only have we replaced this laptop with a new one but we are also experiencing similar behavior on a different model. This in my opinion would require a forensic analysis, if malware is suspected, which after all this troubleshooting is very much likely a reason for the memory utilization.

However if you have a better solution then be my guest, after all the purpose of posting this issue here is to find an easy solution.