Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faisal.saleem

Laptop HDD wd 500gb not detecting by OS

8 posts in this topic

My laptop had some battery issue i guess and many times suddenly powered off, now the strange thing is that hard disk is showing in the setup but OS is not recognizing it. I have very important data on it so any idea what to do? As a solution i already take off the hard disk from the laptop and connected directly on a PC sata port but still same issue.

Hmm...

Is it making any noises?

I had one of my portables go bad recently - it was a 2 TB and it showed up from time to time - luckily this one had no data on it. I seemed to remember about 500GB on there when it first went bad about 2 years ago but it appeared to be an empty file system when I used another laptop that I attached it too.

I lost 3 1.5TB drives from my old NAS Appliance. It said two were going bad a few years ago and now I pulled them all to get a second opinion - since the failures were "S.M.A.R.T" and three not just two failed CHKDSK - even though I suffered little or no apparent data loss on them.

There is another trick for a situation like you have on youtube:

Take the drive apart by the screws and use a good hard drive's connector's and the green circuit board to connect to your old hard drive and now you should be able to access the data on the bad drive.

It seems the issue may be with the metal connectors getting a bit dirty (even though they are seemingly protected from getting dirty or scratchy).

Youtube shows how to perform this type of data recovery - I have not used it yet but I have saved my drives that I have and purchased very tiny screw driver and bit kits so I can try this when the opportunity arises.

Thanks

Darby Weaver

In one of the examples I saw - the guy took a SATA Drive and replaced with an IDE Drive's circuit board and interfaces and it apparently worked well.

Step by Step.

Darby Weaver

Watch this one:

Hmm...

Is it making any noises?

Yes its making a tiny noise once power ON, may be media issue. The guy in youtube video even not wearing antistatic :) . I would buy a satta to usb converter and give it a try .

I second to what Darby has suggested, if it is making noises, then it is mechanics. Depending on how these data are important, you may cash out for exactly the same drive, and move the actual magnetic unit that stores your data to the working one.

how old is the drive? do similar ones still sell?

I second to what Darby has suggested, if it is making noises, then it is mechanics. Depending on how these data are important, you may cash out for exactly the same drive, and move the actual magnetic unit that stores your data to the working one.

how old is the drive? do similar ones still sell?

Yes back in 2003 i recovered one of my IDE same way by just replacing board but apparently the changing board would be my last option for this case.

I consulted one of my friend (expert in hardware), he said dont waste money on it. If it is really important then some guys recover data from bad medias but they charge like 10$ per GB.

By using SATA to USB converter , the HDD showing in another laptop as :

500GB HDD1.GIF