Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neoblue123

Is My A+ And Network+ Certs Useless?

9 posts in this topic

So I got both but Did I pay comptia a whole lot of money for no reason? I am new in the IT field but what I see many think these certs are so basic there not even worth getting so did I just waste $350 usd + the cost of books? so about $400

If you learnt something new and are wiser or more informed after taking the certs then, you have not wasted a penny, look at these certs as preparation for the harder ones to follow

ITG

I wouldn't say they're a waste. I mean, it really depends how far you're willing to take your IT career. They're a great way to give it a boost in the beginning, but hopefully you're not just going to stop there. Try to find a technology that you like working with and become a little more specialized. Needless to say, these days the average IT Professional is more or less expected to know the knowledge that you were tested on with the A+ and Network+ certification exams. See if you can offer employers something more, something that will make you stand out a bit and most importantly make you more useful for them. Do some research and find out what type of expertise companies in your area are looking for.

In the end, certifications don't mean everything and don't necessarily guarantee you a higher paying job. It seems to be a mix of talent, experience, and opportunity, but since you're new to the IT field, they will help you secure your first job(s). It's really up to you to steer your career in the right direction and make it grow. Never stop, but instead keep advancing forward. Remember that this is an everchanging field, as new technologies emerge and are improved upon.

I didn't give you a specific list of certifications to obtain on purpose, because I believe every individual is different and cookie-cutter professionals are less likely to achive their potential. By that, I'm trying to say that you should find out what your talents are and exploit them. You may be more productive working with one of Microsoft, Cisco, Novell, Sun, IBM, Oracle, etc. technologies. Find out which one(s), and show the world what you have to offer.

Congratulations on your A+ and Network+, and as always, keep up the hard work.

Is My A+ And Network+ Certs Useless?

I don't think so. If you are finding a job in North America, then you have notice that most "Technical Support/Analyst" position require A+. In addition, they also require MCSE as asset. Some of them need Network+ and/or CCNA, too.

Anyway, Good Luck for your job hunt!

I believe those certs are a very good starting point. You are not going to get a job as a network administrator or the like, but as you said you are new to the IT field and these are going to help you get your foot in the door. A lot of people who are new to the IT field usually start at the bottom of the ladder as a helpdesk technician or desktop support. These jobs will help you progress through the ranks and may give you an idea of which way you want to take your career. Experience is important, so get your feet wet in an entry level job and see where it takes you. Also you can use the A+ and Net+ certs as electives towards the MCSA track if you want to go that route.

Good luck in whatever you decide, but remember learned knowledge is NEVER a waste. True some people may consider the entry level certs worthless, but those are just opinions. You have to start somewhere and you are building a good knowledge base that you can build on.

Both certs are good basic starting points, and requirements for most entry level positions.

As well, you can use them as electives for the Microsoft cert program.

ok thanks for the input guys I guess there really not so useless quick question

If I get my mcsa

after that to get my mcse I would have to take 4 more tests not 3 correct?

mcsa 2003 cant be used as an elective for mcse 2003

and the network+ and A+ cant be used as electives for mcse2003

Trust me, they ain't useless... U can use them as an elective 4 MCSA but not 4 MCSE, U can use Security+ 4 that. Both certs are among the most required certs in the IT market, but 4 sure U need to et more certs such as CCNA & MCSE...

Congratulations MrRumble,

This article has won the best of "Post of the Month" for September :lol:

http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=246252

Keep Working!!!