Followers 0
bickyz

Automatically Restore Ghost Image From Network

3 posts in this topic

LAN Details

1 Windows 2000 Server DC

1 Windows 2000 Member Server

20 Windows 2000 Prof Clients

All clients has 20gb HD with 3 partitions. Ive created and saved the ghost image of C: drive of the clients in the Member Server's shared folder.

I use network boot disk to restore the image by accessing the shared folder where image was saved. Ive heard that if i add a ghost command line switch to the network boot disks batch file it will auto restore the image.

I dont no how the cmd switch works, i checked the manual and tried this line.

ghost.exe -clone,mode=restore,src=image_c.GHO,dst=1:1 -sure

Now after the restore i can see that all the partitions of the clients has been deleted. It has restored as whole 20gb as 1 partition.

Anybody there using this Autorestore method with cmd switches please help me....will be greatful.

although i dont have an answer to your question, i am very much interested in your method of restoring the images via network.

right now, i created a ghost image of a system using sysprep, drop it on a second partition on each of the systems, and manually reimage every month. if i can automate or have the image on the network, or simplify my tasks, it will be very much appreciated. so tell me how yours work. do u need special network cards?

Ghost images are typically saved to network servers.

It's an easy thing to do...

1. You'll need a network boot disk:

(like Barts boot disk) Instructions at this link:

h**p://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

This boot disk supports most common network cards. You can build network boot disks in many ways, including from the GHOST utility itself...

2. After booting with the network boot disk from the machine you want to image, you should connect to the network share where the ghost program is:

3. Run the program and save an image from the client to a share with plenty of disk space:

4. From any compatable client, you can boot to the network, connect to the ghost server, run ghost and select the image to download...

There are many command line switches that can customise how ghost operates. I made a bootable CD that loaded a ghost image in a few seconds before.

Telling the Ghost program to load an image automatically just requires a few switches (however this may vary depending on the version of Ghost you're using)...

Full List of Ghost Command Line Switches:

h**p://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/1998082612540625

Some switches that might interest you for now:

Examples of the CLONE switch

Example 1

Copy drive one to drive two on a computer without the final prompt:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2 -sure

Example 2

Connect through NetBIOS to another computer that is running Ghost in slave mode, and dump a disk image of the second local drive to the remote file c:\drive2.gho:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=dump,src=2,dst=C:\drive2.gho -nbm

Note that Ghost at the slave computer can be started with ghost -nbs.

Example 3

Copy the second partition on drive one to the first partition on drive two on the same computer without the final prompt:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=pcopy,src=1:2,dst=2:1 -sure

Example 4

Load the disk image file savedsk.gho on the server drive mapped locally to drive E onto drive 1 of the local computer. Do not prompt if OK to proceed:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=E:\savedsk.gho,dst=1 -sure

This example is typical what would be in a batch file that automates workstation installations from a network server.

Example 5

Dump the second partition of drive one to an image file on the G: drive:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:2,dst=g:\part2.gho

Example 6

Load partition 2 from a two-partition image file on a mapped drive G: onto the second partition of the local disk:

ghost -clone,mode=pload,src=g:\part2.gho:2,dst=1:2

Example 7

Load drive 2 from an image file, and resize the destination partitions into a 60:40 allocation:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=g:\2prtdisk.gho,dst=2,sze1=60P,sze2=40P

Example 8

Clone a three partition disk and keep the first partition on the destination drive the same size as on the source disk, but divide up the remaining space between the other partitions leaving no unallocated space:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2,sze1=F,sze2=V,sze3=V

Example 9

Load drive one from an image file and resize the first partition to 450 MB, the second to 1599 MB and the third to 2047 MB:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=g:\3prtdisk.gho,dst=1,sze1=450M,sze2=1599M,sze3=2047M

Example 10

Load a disk from an image file and resize the last partition to its capacity. The first partition utilizes the remaining space:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=g:\2prtdisk.gho,dst=1,szeL

Example 11

Load drive one from an image file being sent from the multicast server with the session name SESSIONNAME without final prompt:

ghost.exe -clone,src=@mcSESSIONNAME,dst=1 -sure

Example 12

Create an image file of drive one to an image file being created by the multicast server with the session name SESSIONNAME without final prompt:

ghost.exe -clone,src=1,dst=@mcSESSIONNAME -sure

Example 13

Create an image file of drive two's partitions to an image file being created by the multicast server with the session name SESSIONNAME:

ghost.exe -clone,src=2,dst=@mcSESSIONNAME

Example 14

Write an image that has three partitions to drive one. Use an image file that is sent by the Multicast Server or GhostCast Server using the session name SESSIONNAME. Also resize the first partition to 450 MB, the second partition to 1599 MB and the third partition to 2047 MB.

Because this task requires one imaging operation for each partition that you will resize, the task requires that you use a batch file. Using a batch file with error checking prevents the need for user intervention if a problem occurs.

In the following batch file, the first line executes the -CLONE command three times. The first instance uses the word -CLONE, and the other two instances (which are ,sze1=450M and ,sze3=2047M), use the comma to instruct Ghost to use default commands.

The following batch file is incomplete and is intended only as an example of typical commands that a batch file for Ghost might use.

ghost.exe -clone,src=@mcSESSIONNAME,dst=1,sze1=450M,sze2=1599M,sze3=2047M -batch

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO PROBLEM

ECHO Ghost exited with value of 0 which indicates success.

REM **Add any extra commands that are required here if Ghost succeeds**

GOTO FINISH

:PROBLEM

ECHO GHOST returned with an Error value of 1 or greater.

ECHO Ghosting was not completed successfully

REM **Add any extra commands that are required here if Ghost fails**

:FINISH

ECHO Batch File Finished.

Example 15

In this example, under Symantec Ghost 8.0, there is one hard drive with two partitions. One or both partitions could be an NTFS partition. The following command writes the image of the first partition to the second partition under the image.gho file name.

ghost.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:1,dst=1:2\image.gho

Edited by InDublin

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0