How Do I Ping By Hostname Instead Of Ip Address ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 smoggy

smoggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Cinema and watching sports on TV !!

Cisco CCIE and Microsoft MCSE 2000, 2003 and 2008.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:46 AM

Respected Sadikhov friends, ;)

Can someone show me and remind me how to ping a computer by a given name instead of an ip address ?

Basically I want to find out how to set it up so I could ping the computer by a given name instead of it's unique IP address.

I want to do it in a Win XP host but our servers run 2003.

How do I set it up ?

Many thanks in advance.

#2 SyGo

SyGo

Best Poster in May/June 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:52 AM

it a "normal" situation pinging the computer name should resolve to an IP and everything should be "transparent" to you.

if you are able to ping an IP but not the Hostname then you might have a DNS problem.

are the client and server in the same domain? can you ping the DNS server?

#3 smoggy

smoggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

What I wanted to know was how do I give the computer a DNS name ?

I want to know how do I set the computer up to ping by name instead of IP address ?!

Hope someone will be able to help me out !

Thank you in advance.

#4 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3422 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Gardening, delta9-THC and Computers of-course.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:50 PM

We are not here to spoon-feed you.

Google for DNS, learn about it.

Google for Netbios, Learn about it.

Google for Ping, learn about it.

Google to windows networking howto, learn about it.

You have to read them on your own, we can't explain you everything you don't know. Believe me, If you don't know what a DNS is, you are not eligible to create a network.

#5 smoggy

smoggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:55 AM

Whoami,

I do know how to Ping and I know about DNS but what I don't know is how to set it up on a XP machine ?

I can ping by IP address but the pinging by name doesn't work ?

If you don't want to help then that's fine there are other nicer people than you who are willing to help.

People like yourself have an attitude problem and just because you are moderator like to have a BIG HEAD !!

Enough said.

:angry:

#6 Phybr

Phybr

Digital Demi-God

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

Smoggy,

To give a computer the IP address of the DNS server to use:

Start -> Right Click on My Network Places -> Properties -> Right Click on Local Area Connection (or other adapter) -> Properties -> Select TCP/IP Properties -> Select the DNS box near the bottom -> Enter your address

If the address you wish to ping is on a local network, and not in a public or private DNS server which you have access to, Try entering the record into your hosts file.

I hope this helps,

-- Phybr

#7 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3422 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:23 AM

I do know how to Ping and I know about DNS but what I don't know is how to set it up on a XP machine ?

hmm, let see again.

On a network every computer has to have a logical address called IP address, As we are human who tend to remember names instead of numbers, Here comes the DNS (Domain name system), DNS is a program which can convert IP address to the host name and can also reverse the process if requested (RDNS).

whenever you query a computer by ping or by type \\computer_name, windows first look for it's host file, if it can't find that mapping of that name to any IP address, it then query the DNS server. If this DNS server also failed to resolve the query it then transfer the query to it's root server.

Hope now you understand what a DNS is and how it work?

windows clients prior to W2k use one another mathod for IP to name mapping called NetBIOS, You can google for it as I'm not covering it here as it's not belonging to the scope of this thread. but after W2k M$ removed the NetBIOS and added the DNS server as standerd for name resolution.

when you creat a windows2k/2k3 domain, you must also have setup a DNS server first, usually your domain server is your DNS server in most cases.

Go to you WinXP client and try putting your domain server's IP address in the DNS address field or ask you network administrator for the DNS server address. If you use DHCP in your network, you can setup your client to dynamically update their DNS entries whenever they update their lease time otherwise you first have to add all the client entires manually.

If you don't want to help then that's fine there are other nicer people than you who are willing to help.

Who say I don't want to help you, I just don't want to spoon-feed you, listen flamming are a part of online life, no matter what you do, there's always a chance that someone will flame you. The important thing to remember is 'don't take it personally and try to look what they are saying.

People like yourself have an attitude problem and just because you are moderator like to have a BIG HEAD !!

hey ne ver think like this, I don't have any bad attitude towards you and I don't like to have any BIG HEAD because I'm a moderator. I'm a moderator because I worked upto my *ss to keep this forum running smooth, My work eventually revised by the forum admin and moderators and so I'm in team.

ok, I don't know if I solved your problem or not, but still I still like you to do some GTFT/RTFM, believe me you will learn lot's of thing this way. just imagine, if someone gave you the direct answer to your prolblem and eventually you able to solve your problem, you will only know about that specfic problem, on the other hand if you search and solve the problem on your own, you will learn lot's of new thing while searching and reading, and then no one can stop you to achive what you want.

#8 SyGo

SyGo

Best Poster in May/June 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:34 AM

may i add that you can find out the computer name by typing "net name" or "hostname" on a command prompt.

if you wish to change the computer name you must change it on "my computer"'s properties (under identification tab, I belive) and then it would be nice (or vital) to add it to the domain if you haven't done so already.

as to spoon feeding, I agree somewhat with whoami... I've been in IT for over 9 years and to be honest knowing the answer is just as important as knowing where to look for the answer. Pointing someone in the right direction to correct a problem is much more beneficial then to provide them with step-by-step solutions. the right direction forces the person to gain not only the knowledge but the "tools" necessary to solve problems that might arise in the future.

we all have questions, google usually has all the answers.

#9 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3422 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

It's time to quote a quote

Give a man a fish, You feed him for a day.

Tell him how to fish, You feed him for lifetime.

#10 smoggy

smoggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:47 PM

Thanks everybody !!

It's working !!! :D

Special thanks to forum friends WhoIam55, Phybr and SyGo !! ;)

Yes, I got very frustrated but that was because I couldn't do a simple task and all sorts of doubts came into mind but the best thing is to not give up and learn from mistakes and move on !!

Everyone has to start from somewhere and more practice and experience the better a person becomes in networking !!

Topic closed and thanks once again to everyone who helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users