Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YemenDomain

What Do You Think Of....

11 posts in this topic

hey guys:

what do you think of ghost images as a backup of servers C partition (system Partition). it is fast and goood. in other words why it isn't recommended to use ghost imaging of servers data....?

If it suites your requirement, then it is good for you.
else there are many other ways to backup.

Can you think of the mess you'll cause if you restore a DC from a ghost image? when you perform a system state backup it stores and restores stuff in a specific way, making sure that the data is valid and if not up to date then some other DC in the domian will fill in the blanks. Imagine having 2 DC's the primary one failling, the secondary becomes the primary server you take 2 days to restore de main DC, by then you have new user accounts, new shared folders, user beeing added and removed from groups; when you finally restore the primary DC from ghost you restored it with it's full authority, it will soon enough erase all the changes made in last few days on the secondary server because according to the primary server there was no down time and he is still the top dog on your network.

On a more practical day-to-day note: because it's really a question of time until it becomes unmanageble. a ghost is a full backup all the time. the flexability available in differential and incremental backup procedures guaratee that it's faster to restore a file on a specific date.

[quote]why it isn't recommended to use ghost imaging of servers data....?[/quote]

Because, your data keep changing all the time... Edited by azmi_p

[b]
Backup strategies: Strengths and weaknesses[/b]
[code]http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1179090,00.html[/code]

so, how about this:

i take regular ghost images every say one month, then keep on the regular normal and (Incrimental or Differential) backups every. if any disaster occures we can get things standing faster. what i mean by the question is how is ghost imagging good as part of my back up scheems. i know data changes, i know about replication and all this stuff. think aboout it. as a part of your backup plan. i think it helps alot.

i just wanted to know dose restoring from an image has any side effects in copms functionality?

[quote name='YemenDomain' post='339788' date='Jun 17 2006, 10:06 AM']
so, how about this:

i take regular ghost images every say one month, then keep on the regular normal and (Incrimental or Differential) backups every. if any disaster occures we can get things standing faster. what i mean by the question is how is ghost imagging good as part of my back up scheems. i know data changes, i know about replication and all this stuff. think aboout it. as a part of your backup plan. i think it helps alot.

i just wanted to know dose restoring from an image has any side effects in copms functionality?
[/quote]

Yes. I agree with Ghosting the Servers. Because we have an ERP Application running in our Server and the ERP doesn't have a Proper Installation and installing the ERP and Configuration takes up about three days to Come in Live. And one of my servers crashed last month. I De-ghosted my Server, then demoted by force and restored System state from my Last Good backup. It Works.. and of course a good idea too.

okay, if demoting the server and restoring a recent system state works and seems reliable... go for it.

(mind that I still would not use this method, demoting a server, restoring, promoting it again (if needed, I don't know)... it just seems there is far too much room for system induced faileur and it just seems a bad idea to risk the whole restore operation just because I wanted a faster method to restore...)

I still don't understant (or realise why it's efficiant) to use two seperate methods to backup. ghost will always need system state and vice-versa. if you are backuping system state why not go ahead and backup everything with it? keeping only one media with everything inside.

and burning to DVD's always gives me the chills...it seems so random...sometimes it burns, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes its almost flawless, sometimes it crashes your drive...

I really don't see the necessity of the whole operation. backups take time, restoring a server takes time...but that's because it's a sensative, mission-critical process. everything has to go well, otherwise it's my job on the line. I trust my backups tapes.

Restoring a server takes time. you must come to terms with that and so must your employer. if you need the server for the next day, warm up a pot of coffee and work during the night.

if an employer of mine ever mentioned using ghost as a backup method just because it's faster to restore then the standard method, I'd tell him to quit trying to re-invent the wheel. a server crash happens once every, I dont know, 7 years...if ever. I will not risk a standard restore procedure with an untested, and questionable backup method.

But that's just me...when it comes to backups I'm a "by the book" kind of guy. I rely on tested and time-proven ways of doing stuff. the matter is too serious to improvise.

thanx for asserting my point DIVYESH. i think we all should agree that ghosting is quit a life saver. except that it has speciall isues when used. i think we are gone with this topic. thanx for your interaction.

thanx to all.

yours...!

We use Imaging Tools for years on all kind of servers.

I love Acronis True Image, others prefer Drive Snapshot.

I also clone Domain Controllers.

The system state, Exchange Database and dynamic data is of cause backuped nightly on tape-machines.

The Image-Copy is just a full backup of the whole server.

In the case of restore, i restore the Image so that i dont have to install the whole server again!!

Then i restore the backup files from tape-machine.
This works good for me.

Try it out and also try the restore!
Make a good restore plan for day X! and TRY IT OUT TO RESTORE.

[quote name='YemenDomain' post='338297' date='Jun 13 2006, 05:57 PM']
hey guys:

what do you think of ghost images as a backup of servers C partition (system Partition). it is fast and goood. in other words why it isn't recommended to use ghost imaging of servers data....?
[/quote]

A better product for imaging is Symantec LiveState Recovery Suite. Like Acronis and other imaging tools it allows you to image the server while the server is running. What Livestate offiers is a feature called Resotre Anywhere which allows you to restore to dissimilar hardware. I've always imaged the system partition and data partions

The Restore Anywhere option allows you to restore to practically any machine from any machine. I've used it to restore from large servers to small workstations with large hard drives -> SCSI to IDE, physical to virtual machine, virtual machine back to physical hardware. This method allows you to perform restores without having the same expensive hardware onsite. I've always used a single machine to perform multiple server restores one at a time on a single workstation or a large single server running Vmware to reproduce the whole network.

As part of the backup scheme I normally prefer disk to disk to tape solutions. This allows you to hold a "shallow archive" onsite on disk that allows you to mount a few days worth of images to recover files or systems a lot faster than from tape. The tape backup allows offsite archive solution in case the whole building burns down.