Sadikhov IT Certification forums
Sign in to follow this  
anil_p22

Bandwidth Monitor

Dear All,

Can you please suggest me the best Bandwidth Monitor which can monitor the entire network bandwidth. And also specify the ip address of the computer on the network which is responsible accumilating a lot of bandwidth.

Thank you in advance for awnsering

Anil

anil_p22,

I think I know where this is coming from. You probably have a shared connection and are not sure why the browsing is slow when u have guaranteed speeds from your ISP. You have probably isolated the problem normally to machines that are either running P2P software or are hit by viruses and u wish to identify those machines to fix the browsing speeds.

Ok, If u are using Cisco based routers or others that support SNMP, u can use the MRTG to monitor the router interface usage. This can show if ur network bandwidth is at peak. Also, u can run the "show ip net trans.." command on the router to get a list of connections. Alternately, if u have a proxy gateway, u could do this there as well.

Bandwidth per machine on network.. well interesting application to develop. Never seen it anywhere. That should not be discouraging. Does not mean it does not exist. Someone with more knowledge than me on this subject can definitely help.

I will post if I find something or develop something.

Cheers

Duser

imvincent,

Only works with SNMP enabled devices. Office PCs would probably not be supported therefore.

Interesting product though. Thanx

Cheers

Duser

Yup That's true but servers / wks can be SNMP enabled finding the correct MIBs.

But you should limit the usage of SNMP since it could cause big ammount of traffic.

:)

Good link subus, however on modern networks where hubs are obsolete, u cannot listen to network chatter if ur pc is connected to a switch since switches filter traffic. If I would test this one at office, I will be limited to network traffic from/to my machine and to broadcast/multicast addresses. So unless, u have a custom tool that sits on each machine and monitors the port activity, it is difficult to achieve this. I am in the process of developing one. Will post on progress.

Cheers

Duser

Hello anil_p22,

Are you concerned about the bandwidth usage on the local lan or internet bandwidth consumed ?

If its the matter of monitoring and controlling internet bandiwdth, consider using the RouterOs from www.Mikrotik.com, its a good linux based software that you can install on a pc and place it as your gateway or a bridge between the lan and the wan.

Regards

Netjunky

Guest jaradeh

Dear all:

Hi, Trafic and Bandwith monitoring depends on the switches infrastructure you use. Some brand names support utilities for bandwidth monitoring. Extreme Networks use autility called EPI center. You can use EPI center to monitor,manage and configure all things related to switches like Bandwidth monitoring. The good thing in EPI center that can work with other switches like 3COM and Cisco.

you can find full working one month evaluation copy at:

http://www.extremenetworks.com/services/so...e/epicenter.asp

yours

JARADEH

Guest mili

Hi,

The best Bandwidth control & monitor device I have seen and used till now is Packetshaper (packeteer.com) its a hardware device which sits between your core switch and router.

You can devide users in groups like project groups, assign them bandwidth limit also depending on protocols what ever protocol it may be. you can also generate beautiful reports with top talkers and listeners.

Mili.

Guest kingcert

Hi Guys,

Are there any freeware or OpenSource utility available for network bandwidth utilization monitoring?

CertKing..

Guest pmahesh90979

Have tried using solarwinds and can guarantee that it satisfies most of the needs. if you have a good budget then buying a packeteer is a good option

hi i have tried both solarwinds and the mikrotik router os..

as far as networking monitoring and troubleshooting goes solarwinds is d bomb... u only need SNMP enabled devices which all OSes support by default, there are patches for older OSes to run SNMP. but solarwinds it really can't control bandwidth. mikrotik has a very useful bandwidth control mechanism by using queuing, very effective for bandwidth limiting and prioritization. it can also monitor bandwidth usage and is cheap too. a midrange licence goes for just $50 or so. i use a combination of both on my network. Highly recommend the combo to any network admin..

u can get the trial version from the solawinds site, the crack is readily available on the net.. :)