9 replies to this topic

#1 YemenDomain

YemenDomain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:38 AM

I am getting this messege before the POST process ends. Why???

Pri Master Harddisk: S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed
Press F4 to Resume.

Please help. is the Hard disk corrupted. people spoke about the jumper but i checked and it well set. why am i getting this messege.

#2 screeeeeem

screeeeeem

Proud To Be Gay!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10448 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

are you using RAID 5?

#3 neo2003sp1

neo2003sp1

V.I.P. Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts
  • Interests:My Six Steps Way to Success...
    1) Decide Which Certification Is Right for You
    - MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003, MCAD/MCSD, MCDBA
    2) Gain Hands-on Experience with MS Products
    - 180 day evaluation version
    3) Expand Your Experience with Training
    - by Instructor-led MOC Course @ MS Certified Partners
    4) Know What to Expect on Exams
    - study MS Press Self-Paced Training Kit
    5) Take a Trial Run with a Practice Test
    - Testking.com / ActualTest.com
    6) Take Your Required Exams
    - Buy Voucher, Pay Less, Arrive On Time

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Download the Diag. tool from the Hard Drive manufacturer, and check.

#4 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3422 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Gardening, delta9-THC and Computers of-course.

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:16 PM

I am getting this messege before the POST process ends. Why???

Eh... SMART (Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technique) found an error, Replace your HDD.

#5 YemenDomain

YemenDomain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:54 PM

Screeeem no i am not using any RAID. this a clien't machine with a single H.D.D.
Whoam i55 are you serious, do you mean the hard disk is going to crach or what. Why did accespt the installation and runs after pressing F4...?

do you mind refering me to more clear details....!

#6 screeeeeem

screeeeeem

Proud To Be Gay!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10448 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

There are two things necessary for SMART: a SMART enabled drive BIOS, and an BIOS for your computer that is SMART supportive.

It sounds as though you have both, and the persistence of the error message should give you cause for concern.

Try a BIOS reset to default settings and see what happens If the message persists, please let us know. I would begin to suspect a hardware issue, hopefully something silly and cheap like a 40-conductor cable instead of an 80-conductor cable.

Please note carefully the text of any startup error message. What concerns me, try to change the hard disk and if the error did not go away when you changed the hard disk then the problem is related to the computer

This suggests that the error condition is being thrown by your computer (and not the hard drive itself). Since it is likely the IDE interface is on-board the motherboard,

it is a $1.50 cable replacement rather than a whole new computer at fault.

Please let us know.

Edited by screeeeeem, 30 October 2006 - 11:30 PM.

#7 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3422 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Gardening, delta9-THC and Computers of-course.

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:10 AM

do you mind refering me to more clear details....!

Why not ;-)

S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives. It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard drive manufacturers.

Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a suite of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a drive and provide an early warning for many types of potential problems. When a potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or replaced before any data is lost or damaged.

The S.M.A.R.T. system monitors the drive for anything that might seem out of the ordinary, documents it, and analyzes the data. If it sees something that indicates a problem, it is capable of notifying the user (or system administrator). S.M.A.R.T. monitors disk performance, faulty sectors, recalibration, CRC errors, drive spin-up time, drive heads, distance between the heads and the disk platters, drive temperature, and characteristics of the media, motor and servomechanisms. The errors the system can detect can be predicted by a number of methods. Currently the SMART system can detect about 70% of all hard drive errors.

Here's an example: motor and/or bearing failure can be predicted by an increase in the drive spin-up time and the number of retries it takes to get the drive spinning at full speed. Or, if the drive notes that error correction is being needed excessively, it can attribute this to a broken drive head or surface contamination, and it will create an alert before the problem gets worse. Armed with a prediction of failure, the user or system administrator can make a backup copy of key data, replace a suspect device prior to data loss, and avoid undesired downtime.

Why did accespt the installation and runs after pressing F4...?

Just because it detect an error doesn't mean your HDD is gone bad, as screeeeeem has pointed it could be due to several thousands of other reasons. It reported you, now it's upto you, you can still use your HDD or can turn off the SMART status from BIOS and yes that's why it ask you and run normally to press F4 to continue.

More on S.M.A.R.T. can be found here
http://www.almico.com/sfarticle.php?id=2

@screeeeem: I still didn't get how using RAID5 can cause a S.M.A.R.T. error?

#8 screeeeeem

screeeeeem

Proud To Be Gay!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10448 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:33 AM

no who i was just asking wats the type of configuration he have , i had an error coz a wrong configuration in RAID on my server its hp dl380 G4 coz that i got confuesd the 1st time i heard abt it , i think the problem is solved by resetting the bios or changing the cable only , we will wait the result and see :)

#9 YemenDomain

YemenDomain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

i didn't try the restting bios because the comp is not here anymore. bt when it was here. i replaced the HDD and it worked with no errors. with that HD i exchanged cables not sure if 40 or 80 (New Info to me). so i guess the SMART is detecting HD is not reliable anymore.

what do you think

#10 screeeeeem

screeeeeem

Proud To Be Gay!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10448 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

if you reset the bios it would work , my friend here had your same problem and asked him there was conflicts of SMART only

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users