19 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Rating To This Topic

• 1-Very good
    • 2-Good
    • 3-Bad

13 Essential Steps To Protect Your Self On The Internet

1-Dont open email attachments with the following extension:

exe ,com ,bat ,scr ,pif, vbs

2-Dont click on links in chat rooms ... some viruses and trojans can be converted to HTML format... :(

3-Use a reliable and strong firewall.

4-Change your passwords periodically ... and use complex passwords. HOW TO CHOSE A SECURE PASSWORD

5-Update your antivirus software at lest every week and make full system scan.

6-Configurer your antivirus software to scan incoming emails automatically.

7-Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack.Learn More

8-Use Port Scanner to scan for opening ports in your computer.

-If we compare an operating system to a house, then the doors and windows

of an operating system are the services it is running and the ports it has open -

9- Beware from keyloger trojans!!! :huh:

10- Always keep your patch levels up-to-date: download patches and critical update to your operating system

11-If u r using windows XP it's highly recommended to install service pack 2

12-Packup your sensitive data periodically ….

13- Don’t save very sensitive information on computer connected to network

such as internet …. YOU CANT MAKE A COMPUTER CONTECTED TO NETWORK SECURE 100% . :blink:

Finally it is important to remember that computer security like a chain: and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and an attacker will compromise the weakest link in a computer security.

This is some essential steps ... plz if you have any other information write it.... thanx

- Ashraf

I'd also say it's important to run an anti-spyware/adware program such as ad-aware or spybot search & destroy on a regular basis, especially if you are running internet explorer as your browser. And don't forget to run the update utility on your detection program as well so you always have the latest spy/adware detection files.

I'd also say it's important to run an anti-spyware/adware

OH ... this is very important step this will make them 14 steps :rolleyes: thank u vortex very much

yeap..

i have an idea about secure internet connection..

let's talk about it B)

at first ; we have to at least 2 harddisk.. and at least 2 OS ..

also i prefer to use USB 2.0 external HD box for 1 HD ..

when i will connect to internet ; i will use 1 HD which connected by external HD box

and its OS ..

all my documents on other HD ..

of course yours 13+1 rules so good ; but i prefer to seperade my special documents from internet environment ..

i prefer to use my other HD and OS without internet connection ..

this is so cheapest way ; isnt it ?

13- Don’t save very sensitive information on computer connected to network

such as internet …. YOU CANT MAKE A COMPUTER CONTECTED TO NETWORK SECURE 100% . :blink:

your point is really very good ....it's important that u dont save sensitive datat on computer conected to networks

Guest enes

i dont fully agree with 2nd sentence.

There cant be a virus on html file. Think about it. How can you put virus on html codes ? That is not possible (except ActiveX and stuff like that).

Dear all

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA),

Use this tool to identify common security misconfigurations and missing security updates. MBSA runs on the Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003, Windows® 2000, and Windows XP operating systems and will scan for vulnerabilities in multiple products and technologies, including Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) and SQL Server

:lol:

i dont fully agree with 2nd sentence.

There cant be a virus on html file. Think about it. How can you put virus on html codes ? That is not possible (except ActiveX and stuff like that).

u r right ... but I was browsing a hacker site .. and I have downloaded a video that learn u how infect some one by making him click on link .... and as u saind " except ActiveX" ..... u know by using ActiveX u can make this possible .... plz If I am wrong plz inform me thanx

Try Also Norton Internet Security 2005 ... it's really very good if u r concern about ur computer security on the net

Guest coolman

I think Macafee is better ... anyway great informaiton and many thanx ... do u have some other steps ?

These steps outline the basic OS hardening procedures.

About anti-virus... Kaspersky has the one best detections and it's one of the few anti-virus programs which go easy on your system resources. The downside is that the software lacks in-depth features.

PS: Keyloggers are what I'm afraid of most. :wacko:

I will post a topic soon about how to protect ur self from it ;)

Fantastic 13+1 tips.

Should be all you need really.

Common sense prevails a lot of the time-Treat a PC as if it were your house. Would you leave doors(ports) unlocked. Would you invite strangers (.BAT.CMD ETC) Would you leave home without setting an alarm(antivirus,Firewall) Would you let you houses security system get old and useless (Patches and Updates)

MBSA is a good starting point for finding vulnerabilities and ensure you set up a firewall, and antivirus which autoupdates every night.

I dont see how storing your data on a seperate hardrive from the one your OS is on will protect you....if you have two drives in a machine and a hacker gains access to one-he will gain access to the other just as easily. The only way this will help is if the second drive is actually a second machine which never connects to the net.

I will post a topic soon about how to protect ur self from it ;)

HIDS, AV, FW, but that's not enough. Nothing can detect some of the shit they use. Hell, I've used a hardware keylogger myself to get a password.

HIDS, AV, FW, but that's not enough. Nothing can detect some of the shit they use. Hell, I've used a hardware keylogger myself to get a password.

ok I know that these stuff is not enough !!! anyway would u plz explain to me in more detailes HARDWARE KEYLOGER ?