Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faisal.saleem

CCNA Diary(how To Start Study?)

166 posts in this topic

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SENIOR MEMBER, IN FACT YOU HAVE REALLY TAUGHT ME A GREAT LESSON IN LIFE. FIRST OF ALL I STARTED WELL WITH NETWORK+ IN WHICH I POSTPONED THE EXAMS, MY PROBLEM IS I HAVE THREE COMPUTERS BUT I DONT REALLY HAVE ACCESS TO A REAL ROUTER I DONT KNOW IF THE CISCO DYNAMIPS CAN HELP ME ACHIEVE MY SUCCESS IN THE CCNA EXAMS SINCE I HAVE ACCESS TO ALL THE MATERIALS YOU DISCUSS IN YOUR WONDERFUL DIARY "CCNA DIARY". THANKS VERY MUCH AND I WOULD LIKE YOU TO EXPLAIN THE CONCEPT OF SUBNETTING WELL FOR ME THANKS VERY MUCH AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY GOOD BLESS AND GIVE YOU EXTRA KNOWLEDGE TO SEND MORE TIPS CONCERNING CCNA FOR WE THE BEGINNERS.

Hi mate, thanks for your kind words. There is always a confusion for noobs(i mean fresh in networks) that whether they should start with mcse or ccna or linux or network+ etc. IMHO it depends on personal interest but starting with network+ is the best deal among all initial certs.

MY PROBLEM IS I HAVE THREE COMPUTERS BUT I DONT REALLY HAVE ACCESS TO A REAL ROUTER I DONT KNOW IF THE CISCO DYNAMIPS CAN HELP ME ACHIEVE MY SUCCESS IN THE CCNA EXAMS

Look not you but most of us including myself feels like the same way ie with out home lab how it is possible to learn the stuff? I tend to agree that only using simulators and emulators like gns3 you can cover most of the topics/concepts (even for CCNP routing level ) but you may not be consider a good engineer until/unless you work with the real hardware.

I guess it is our human nature that we always worry about the things which don't have at this time but we don't pay proper attention/time to the stuff which we have at this time so if i am in your place then for sure i will try to digest the CCNA stuff and for practicing i'll use some CCNA workbooks on gns3..

So if you know your stuff well then i believe sooner or later these simulators/emulators/books/videos/fourms will be the key success to pass an interview and then fun with damn real hardware will be start..

and regarding your sub netting request, i am sorry for this because in these months i am too far from cisco and other forum activities..

Here is a nice cisco blog by lordflasheart.==>http://subnettingmadeeasy.b*l*o*g*s*p*o*t.com/

and you can find a detailed post on subnetting here==>http://subnettingmadeeasy.b*l*o*g*s*p*o*t.com/2007/11/subnetting-made-easy-lesson.html

Note:- remove these * from bloggspot and then copy past in the browser.

If you have any confusion@subnetting then feel free to write here, i will explain.

HTH.

This post was really helpful

I have a CCNA 640-801 (expired) , i have been a system engineer for 4 years.

Now i want to try and get a job as network engineer so i want to re certify my CCNA also refresh my memory...

Is it hard to get into network field..I dont have any friend working as network engineer and this field sounds like very hard to get into ....

I'm especially grateful for all your advice to newbies. I'm just beginning preparations for CCNA and I beleive your advice will go a long way in guiding my study. Thanks again.

Hi There, i read a post by darby in off topic where someOne asked him what i can do with these limited resources and the response was very interesting :).Frankly speaking this is just a common factor mostly we see in the beginers@networks or sometimes in upper level ie always worry about the things which are not right now in our hands and do not fully utilize the things which are in our hands right now. Below is the copy past, hopefully it will helpful to those who missed the original thread.

Faisal.

The question presented:

how would you communicate convincingly to an employer the scenario which you just presented. I have an old cisco router, two desktops, a laptop, and an old gx270 running server 2003 (so this is my server of sorts). That is the setup you just described... but i don't feel that it would get me a job anywhere. Thoughts? I have informed potential employers of this as well, stated that I tend to work on many random projects, as well as studying for MCSA/CCNA certifications. Working on getting hired as of yet though.

My reply:

Mark,

You bring up a great question. This is exactly the challenge we all face no matter which level of the game we are playing at. The problem is how to convey that we have a given a skill level and set of skills that allow us the potential to do the job effectively.

Well as I read your words, I see a problem and I'll repeat them and then work it out for you:

"I have an old cisco router, two desktops, a laptop, and an old gx270 running server 2003 (so this is my server of sorts)."

Umm...

This just does not sound too convincing to me. It just doesn't. I might let you in and give you a job as a tech and maybe even as a lead tech if you show promise, but would not give you your own $25-100,000,000.00 company's network to run, even though you have a network that is equal to or better than many who have no more network that you have described to me.

You see you also told me this:

"I have informed potential employers of this as well, stated that I tend to work on many random projects, as well as studying for MCSA/CCNA certifications."

Random projects won't get you a job as the go-to guy. It just won't. Studying for this or that won't get you the job either.

And then I read this and it is the nail in your coffin:

"...but i don't feel that it would get me a job anywhere."

If you don't think you can get the job why on earth would I or any employer ever even consider you for the job in the first place my friend? Help me here. See it just does not work like that.

You have a server, a router, and a couple of desktops and a laptop.

My god son!!! You have a network. I might recomment a... Cisco switch - at least 2900 and capable of vlans. But you can also bridge with the router... nah!!! Get the switch - Invest $10-100.00 in your future career.

Number 1: Treat your home network like a production network. Start by calling it a "NETWORK" and meaning it.

- Do you have a Visio of it? Document it.

- Does it tell you when it is sick? Set up 2003 as an SMTP Server and then configure SMTP and your event management. Make it send you emails.

- Do you have a DNS Server - make it so.

- Setup WINS too.

- How about LDAP, FTP, HTTP, and maybe a Certificate Authority... get to it my boy! Now Secure them puppies.

- Get a management tool to help you gather info on you network - Spiceworks is free.

- Get a Sniffer to watch your network and gather packets for analysis - Wireshark is great! Ummm... Network Monitor comes with Windows... have you used it yet?

- Have you setup and Anti-Virus Server and are you pushing GPO's yet - Why not?

- I see Ghost on your resume - Where's your R.I.S. Server on your network?

- Have you setup your event viewers and learned to use them?

- Have you went gotten the Sysinternal/Wininternal tools yet - MS has license to them now as I recall.

- Do you know about Insight Manager yet? If not just grab a free demo copy of PRTG and learn to use it... start with monitoring your own bandwidth.

- How are you doing backups on YOUR network? I've not seen a network yet where this was not important or shall I say MOST important... Number 1 Job Skill!!!

Where's the Disaster Recovery document for your home network?

Do you have an Internet, Email, or Security Policy for your home network?

Where's your network notebook that tells anyone about your network and the level of detail you consider important?

You have a Router - Are you using it? How do you back it up? Does it have the correct time? Where does your network get its time from? Do you have DHCP configured? Why? Why not?

What access-lists are you using? Do you use SSH or just Telnet? Do you have a crash-dump confifured? Do you update your router? How would you do this? You have an FTP by now and no doubt it works... why not send the crash dump there. Can you recover a password on that router?

Does the Router use SNMP or RMON? HTTP or HTTPS? What's RCP?

Why don't you configure R.A.N.C.I.D for your Router? Why don't you audit it with Nipper and then use R.A.T. to check your work periodically?

Do you know how to make your Router perform as a DHCP Server? Are your passwords clearly visible on that router? Do you use a loopback address?

Where's you IP Spreadsheet of your network? You do manage your own IP's on your network don't you?

What naming convention do you use? Is your network accessible remotely? Wirelessly? Analog perhaps? VPN maybe?

I could go on for days... I manage networks.

If you treat your own network as a Corporate Network then you will find a certain serenity and peace of mind running it and when you are interviewing you will also have the confidence you need to convey your skill level properly.

BUT!!!

You must do it, live it, document it, and ultimately learn to be it...

If it is truly what you want to do.

By the way, if you do the things I mentioned above and create a network notebook then you have a great document you can call your portfolio in an interview.

When an employer sees what you are capable of and what you have done I'm very sure most employers will be suitably impressed that they'd like to see you getting started right away repeating the process on their network.

FYI - This is what I do. I work on my process and I constantly strive to improve it, one step at a time, and it just works.

If this is to be your career - act like it and make it happen. No one else will do it for you.

Source ==> http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175751

hi all, wana start CCNA study but i need resources, could someone advise where i could download the self-study book which helps me to do ccna exam.

thanks for ur help.

hi all, wana start CCNA study but i need resources, could someone advise where i could download the self-study book which helps me to do ccna exam.

thanks for ur help.

thanks for ur help.

kherona well i can understand your current senerio.Sorry to hear that you still didn’t get any good job, don’t be much worry u are not alone because you can check in the section " Career Builders" that after "education completion" mostly people face this situation. I hop you already did that but just a little check list again.....

1. Use your all resources i mean any friend, any relative etc for getting a job in IP network/ telecom

2. Make a habit to check daily news papers.Everycountry has few well-known websites for only job so also check all these on daily basis.

3. Start your career at least from very basic level i mean if you get any opportunity to work without pay then you should avail it. At least apply for internship in any ISP, if you fully understood CCNA concepts then there is more chances for internship. I had started my career in a very low level ISP where my work was to deploy cable internets in the streets and my pay was 50$ per month at that time. Also check this pinned topic ==> www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109623 he did web designing in parallel with CCIE study to solve his money problem and prove that ===> "when there is a will there is a way". So i am forcing you for a job because theory is ok but practical experience is must for making a solid professional mind.

4. I agreed to you at least do CCNP first and noworries we know that at the end day all we use braindump LOL :) including my self , i am sure you will get a good job after CCNP inshaAllah.

-------------------------------------

Now for your switching topics problem if possible search a study partner in your area who might have some cisco hardware. Also i saw some sites offer for a limited time free labs on real routers/switches. I will let u know about these. Moreover i sent you a PM regarding this matter. Best of luck :P .

Faisal.

Hey Man Thank A lot for awesome clarification about how to studies of CCNA ......hats off........

I am working as system administrator in LAN/WLAN environment...its very small org.brodband connection no branches even i am happy to work here i dind getting satisfaction & good pay also .....so i join the CCNA classes ....want to start carrier in WAN environment.....but 1st i need to clear the CCNA cer....& its very costly for me ....so i dont want to fail ... :angry:

may lab teachers suggesting me go for Dumps its very important to clear the exam ....but as u r suggesting totally opposite .....

and as i am working i doesn't have much to practice and studies ......in this situation what i do ?

shall i go for WAN ...is theres r good opening N pay ??

please suggests me ................

thanks in advance

Hey Man Thank A lot for awesome clarification about how to studies of CCNA ......hats off........

I am working as system administrator in LAN/WLAN environment...its very small org.brodband connection no branches even i am happy to work here i dind getting satisfaction & good pay also .....so i join the CCNA classes ....want to start carrier in WAN environment.....but 1st i need to clear the CCNA cer....& its very costly for me ....so i dont want to fail ... :angry:

may lab teachers suggesting me go for Dumps its very important to clear the exam ....but as u r suggesting totally opposite .....

and as i am working i doesn't have much to practice and studies ......in this situation what i do ?

thanks in advance

Thanks Faisal Saleem.......but u might dint get may Question ...........actually i dint clear my CCNA yet ............1st i have clear CCNA n then only i can do CCNP m i right .........

thank a lot for replying on ma Question

thanks in advance

1. Join the insitute ASAP, i personally do not know much about the Zoom but yes i have a CCNA lab guide published by Zoom institute from INDIA and it is cool as hell.

2. Start the study like adults and as i said before in the diary thread do not worry about the dumps, i am surprise you even did not schedule your exam and did not start CCNA exam prep but you are listening your lab teachers who are suggesting your for dumps. So my friend 1st join the institute, make your own notes, practice on routers and switches and then use some handy test engines and at the last ask yourself if you need dumps or not? there are 1000 sites on internet providing dumps even free so i do not think it is a series issue for anyone :)

3. Yes CCNP is a good choice and it opens more doors for WAN guys, but frankly speaking just 3 days ago one of my X-Colleague(now working in a nationwide Cellular company ) called me and said "hey faisal here in IP Core department a job is going to open and if you are willing to switch, the next sentence he asked me that they are demanding a MPLS and BGP guy...

Hmmm guess he did not even ask me for my CCNA.

HTH.

Thanks Bro...........i will start .from today onwards only ........ m thanks for replying dud :)

ummm..

just a handy way for exploring any popular institute, no matter in which city@country it is situated. Just dig in the groups.yahoo.com and use the string of its name. I just google "zoom ccna" and found these results http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=zoom+ccna&sort=relevance.

Join these^^ groups and contact these guys, you know only these students can tell you the actual picture of this zoom institute.

Wish you best of luck :)

CCNA Discount Voucher Queries:-

How can i get CCNA discount voucher?

CCNA discount vouchers are freely available for registered CNAP(Cisco networking Academy Program) students.

How can i registered at CNAP?

If you would like to registered as a student or instructor, first of all to find contact information for an Cisco academy near your home you have to use this Academy Locator url ==> http://cisco.netacad.net/cnams/locators/LocatorMain.jsp

After joining the academy you will receive a username and password from your instructor. And then use this username and password here ==> cisco.netacad.com

After completion of the course, you have to successfully pass the first attempt of your final exam with a score of 75 percent or higher. After that you will get a voucher. For more info see this easy flow chart for CCNA Composite Exam ==> http://faculty.pittccisdept.net/groyster/Vouchers-CCNA-Composite.pdf

Netacad( Cisco Networking Academy)CCNA vouchers are transferable or not? It is safe to use the discount voucher which was originally issued (by ciso) for another student?

Official Answer:-

Let me clear it is against cisco policy so use it on your own risk. Personally I've seen few people who used these discount vouchers perhaps they were not registered with CNAP. Hmmm i do not have yet any login at netacad so can not write/show the official cisco policy regarding voucher selling, anyway below are some copy paste wordings of Vic Ortiz (Voucher Program Manager).

"Victor

To All - please remember that you cannot give your voucher to someone else or accept someone else's voucher for your use. Cisco matches names of those who receive and those who use vouchers. You risk losing your certification if you violate Cisco policies - so its not worth trying. Those who earned them, deserve to use them and benefit.

November 8, 2009 at 6:31pm"

source ==> http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=190010265716&topic=9756

What about voucher expiration date?

Every voucher issued has an expiration date. This date should be a minimum of 90 days from the day it is issued to you. Voucher expiration dates are based on the date that a group of vouchers is ordered to restock our inventory - but never more than a year (often less) or less than 90 days. Each person who receives a voucher is responsible to know the expiration date and to take the exam before the voucher expires. They cannot be replaced or extended past the expiration date.

=========================================================================

Ok enough said. Frankly speaking yet i did not use any cisco discount voucher and have no experience but i founds so many sites selling different vendor's certs vouchers, like this one ==> www.getcertify4less.com

hmmm, what do you think :), it is legal?

Faisal.

I didn't use a voucher for my scheduled exam next week. I did check out some sites, the most you get off is around $10 bucks. I was a little confused on how it works and I was concerned I may run into trouble getting it to work correctly when scheduling the exam so I opted to just pay the full exam price.

If it were more than $10 I would seriously consider doing one, but for just $10 I don't know, I wasn't too confident and didn't want to go through the hassle if there were any issues. Not for $10 bucks...

I didn't use a voucher for my scheduled exam next week. I did check out some sites, the most you get off is around $10 bucks. I was a little confused on how it works and I was concerned I may run into trouble getting it to work correctly when scheduling the exam so I opted to just pay the full exam price.

If it were more than $10 I would seriously consider doing one, but for just $10 I don't know, I wasn't too confident and didn't want to go through the hassle if there were any issues. Not for $10 bucks...

See a CNAP student gets almost 70% discount voucher but the sites like GetCertify4Less do not much offer a big discount like this. Their vouchers are something different means not related to CNAP vouchers i guess. So for me these sites are looking legal but i am not 100% sure. Hopefully someOne explain this point.

Edited by faisal.saleem

Hello every one!

I am also have some confusion about Cisco discount voucher. I am not a Netacad student I am doing self paced study and going to take my exam hopefully in May 2010. I meet with a guy from Pakistan on this forum and he offered me 70% discount voucher, according to that guy he is running a Netacad and he will enroll my name as Netacad student after he will get payment from me which is 11000/- PKR (130/- USD). This sounds good to me as I am also from Pakistan.

Now the real confusion I meet with another guy how is from Morocco on this forum, he offered me discount voucher as well with 70% discount in 40/- USD (3360/- PKR) and it is much cheaper for me as I compared with above one. But this guy was unable to assure me that the voucher is offering me is 100% safe to use.

I am really confused which one to choose. Please guide me.

Regards,

Abdul Basit

Use any voucher code with EXTREME caution only!!! Using a Netacad voucher without being a valid Netacad student is exam fraud and subject to criminal prosecution!

Cisco will not only revoke your existing certifications but you will be subject to a permanent life ban from all future certifications as well!

I strongly recommend against using any voucher code if you cannot confirm that it's 100% legitimate! Of course, it's tempting to save some money now but in the end the result might be disastrous...

Use any voucher code with EXTREME caution only!!! Using a Netacad voucher without being a valid Netacad student is exam fraud and subject to criminal prosecution!

Cisco will not only revoke your existing certifications but you will be subject to a permanent life ban from all future certifications as well!

I strongly recommend against using any voucher code if you cannot confirm that it's 100% legitimate! Of course, it's tempting to save some money now but in the end the result might be disastrous...

Thanks for the information

Cisco Packet Tracer 5.2: The Good, the Bad and the Buggy

I see all kinds of people on message boards asking what kind of Cisco routers and switches they'll need to study for the entrance/associate level exams, and often they're very surprised to learn that a single piece of free software can emulate anything they'll ever need to do all their lab work. Based on that, I've decided to write a review and tutorial on Cisco's Packet Tracer (version 5.2), to show off its highs and lows.

To start with, I have to say that the interface is pretty intuitive. If you need to throw together a 10+ router network to test something, it's a lot simpler to drop-and-drag them onto a screen than to physically set them up on a router rack, and it's easier to see what's going on since you're always looking at it from the perspective of a topology diagram. On the bottom there are groups of different types of Cisco devices you can choose from, drag them onto the main board, and give them time to virtually boot up. Scrollover a router and it will give you its interface summary, scrollover a cable and it will highlight the names of the interfaces connecting to it, click on a router and it will bring up a window for you to make hardware changes or configure it from a command prompt... All in all, when it comes to presentation it's as clear and simple as any router emulator could be.

For routing, Packet Tracer supports all current CCNA-level protocols (RIP, EIGRP, OSPF), both for IPv4 and IPv6. When I say "supports", I mean it in a fairly bare-bones sense though, in that it is possible to simulate neighborships and dynamically advertise routes, but nothing overly fancy. There IS support for route redistribution, but in practice this can cause the program to crash, and there is no support for route maps, prefix lists or anything of the sort. It's also worth mentioning that BGP and ISIS are not yet supported either, nor is IGRP, but then again noone really uses that anymore anyway.

For switching, as with routing it is pretty clear that Cisco is striving for a CCNA-level lab simulator. Basic spanning-tree and VTP configuration options are available, as well as port-security, bpdu filtering, dot1q trunking and most common configuration options for all of those. Layer 3 switches are available (particularly the Cisco 3560 series), and most of the equipment available is modular so it's easy enough to throw in another 24-port module if you suddenly find that you need it. Oddly, the program requires you to physically (or I guess, "virtually physically") unplug the switch before making hardware changes, which is something you don't always have to do in real life so I'm surprised they set it up that way.

New to version 5.2 are a whole host of security features, making it pretty clear that Cisco is aiming to incorporate the CCNA Security course into the program. The zone-based firewall architecture is supported on the IOS version the routers are running, as are stateful inspection rules, the crypto command subset, SSH, IPSec/GRE tunnels, and notably AAA (authentication, authorization and accounting). Unfortunately the accounting system doesn't exist yet, so it's more like an "AA" simulator, but the ability to force remote authentication against a radius or tacacs server group is nice since it's an extremely common setup in the real world. The only major pet peeve I have with the security additions is that, while they added logging, they did not include the logging buffer and you can't have the router differentiate logged events based on severity. I think this is a major setback, since the use of logs is very important to Cisco troubleshooting, and the emulator isn't able to teach that valuable skill.

As for QoS, this version of Packet Tracer actually supports a lot. Most shapping, marking/classification and queueing strategies are supported, which leads me to think their next push will be for support of the CCNA Voice curriculum, and Call Manager. For queueing, FIFO, CQ, RR, WRR, PQ, FQ, WFQ, CBWFQ and LLQ all have homes here. Note that Cisco's NBAR is not yet supported, nor is CEF, which also means that Auto QoS is out (good ridance).

Those in the business will probably be less interested in a review of Packet Tracer and more interested in a direct comparison of PT5.2 and the third-party emulator software "GNS3". I have a few thoughts on that: Packet Tracer's interface beats GNS3 in terms of usability, and GNS3's inability to emulate switching really puts it at a disadvantage to Packet Tracer for any CCNA-level labs, or any labs that involve switching at all. However, if the real test is in having the truest emulation of a real Cisco router, the winner is GNS3 hands-down; The reason is that GNS3 isn't just an emulation, but rather it can run *real* Cisco IOS versions and support all the commands and options that a router can, while Packet Tracer only offers a small sample of Cisco IOS, including only the more popular or entrance-level commands. All-in-all I would recommend Packet Tracer for anyone CCNA or below, and recommend GNS3 for most of the CCNP-level course material, other than the BCMSN for the obvious switching incompatability of GNS3.

Now, despite all the good things there are to say about these emulators, I'm still disappointed with how buggy Packet Tracer can be. It crashes probably once every hour of fiddling (crashed at least once when I was making the screenshots that accompany this article), but even more frustrating are the bugs that cause the routers/switches to behave in ways that the real things wouldn't. Especially for the upstart CCNA candidates, I can imagine people questioning what they know about switching theory if they saw an STP root bridge with ports in the blocking state, for example, but I've noticed a few times now where Packet Tracer will just go funky, usually followed closely by the whole application crashing. Adding these variables to tricky Cisco labs is a recipe for troubleshooting nightmares and a lot of aggravation.

It's such a big program that I could write all kinds of pages on it, but in summary Packet Tracer 5.2 is a somewhat solid, free Cisco emulator that's great for running quick labs and exercises where a real Cisco testing lab isn't available. For CCNA or below, it's probably the best there is, but I for one am hoping it gets a lot better with later versions.

source ==> http://russelldelong.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-see-all-kinds-of-people-on-message.html

My two pennies worth (cents if ya in USA :)

I failed CCNA with about 3 months prep mainly via Train Signal CD's and Exam Sims but I only had 1 Router to actually use at that time, you can do well on a Sim but the exam is a different ball game.

I don't personally work in Networking at the moment, I have no doubt doing this for a living would help just by seeing it day in day out.

I certainly find the Train Signal stuff very good but for me Labs where the killer, for the next time I have bought some kit to follow Chris Bryant's lab setup. I find typing the commands seeing the results of debugs, being able to pull a cable out etc helps cement knowledge. I have no doubt if I sold the kit I bought it would be worth about what I paid for it, and its real, you can plug a DCE/DTE cable in wrong etc, so much you just can`t do on Sims.

On the whole I think I needed an exam almost to feel the layout so I know what to expect, with hindsight it was alot more lab based, I also thought you would be able to go back and forward through Questions which you could`nt. The fact that some questions *may* build on previous answers, taking your time is important, its very easy to rush when your actually in there

I hope to do it this time by writing myself Questions as I watch videos then be able to perform them without referring to command guides,

Don't fool yourself into thinking a few dumps will have you sail through, final tip is I found http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ personally very useful so I could work through Questions at random without having seen answers before

Hoping I pass this time :) ttfn

Alastair

this is a superb compilation...thanx a lot...

With respect to the dumps...i believe that they do comprise of an important part of the training provided u have read the books an understood the

concept.It is very important to know the kinda questions one will be facing.

Gr8 effort by the author...applaud